Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Larry's Band, Galina and Timour, and the Resistor

Who's been neglecting her blog?  This girl!  But I'm back and I have some great installments!  Let me introduce you to the starring roles of my journey.

Craig introduced me to the lovely Galina and Timour, two Russians with such style and class that I barely know what to do with myself.  I now live on the eighteenth floor of their very swanky New Jersey high-rise.  My bed has blue silk sheets and a Gucci bedspread.  Galina keeps fragrant, fresh-cut flowers in every room which are immediately exchanged with new arrangements at the tiniest sight of wilting.  Dinner parties are thrown every weekend and always end with tea and cake.

I am very shy around these two.  I try not to be, but I am.  I honestly do not know how to respond to this level of hospitality.  This is compounded by how little English is spoken in the house and the fact that Galina is very pregnant.  I am TERRIFIED of annoying her.  She is so funny and interesting and wonderful, but I honestly feel like invading any woman's space during pregnancy is a sin punishable by death.

Despite this, the three of us watch A Game of Thrones every Sunday, and to the best of my knowledge, they like me well enough.  (I adore them.)  There is a pigeon nest on the balcony, and at Passover, one of their many wonderful friends, Boris, sang Jewish hymns so loudly it could probably be heard in the lobby on the first floor.  Another friend of theirs, Dmitriy, playfully chastises me for working for free.  Boris' best friend is from Trinidad so half of the dinner is spent speaking (or singing) in Spanish.  Thank God for that!  I at least understand Spanish.

I can now say that I have shared Vodka with a room of Russians.

The view from Timour and Galina's porch.

This is the window in my room.

No pictures of my gracious hosts yet though!  I do tend to get a little sheepish around them.

And the internship?  The whole reason I'm here?  Let's just say "schlepping" would describe the bulk of my duties.  Currently my arms are so sore, I can't get them over my head.  I will update you when things become more awesome.

In the meantime, let's enjoy some photos of the ole' office.

This poster feels racist? but really isn't...

Puppets?

Schedule post-its

Look!  A charm made by Nyssa, my old roommate! <3

I've been going to the Resistor every Thursday, mostly because I have made a very good friend there.  Lily Su does 3D model freelancing and is OBSESSED with 3D printing.  The members of the NYC Resistor are very quiet, ambitious and task-oriented compared to those at the DMS.  Despite this, they are all very friendly and every Thursday, I look forward to their company.  Though if you're not working, you're not welcome!  A project is nigh mandatory, and folding cranes did not cut it for this crowd.
This sign is on the first floor, but the NYC Resistor is actually on the fourth floor.

That hot pink skull was 3D printed!

I forget what she was doing to that typewritter…..

Similarly, I _wish_ I could remember this guy's name.  He has a personality that you'd imagine the Angry Video Game Nerd or the Nostalgia Critic having if they were just being themselves and not hamming it up for a camera.

Can't think of his name either...

This is Lily!

My cranes chilling with a lego panda.

The Andy Worhal-lookin' dude is from France.

Alas! Poor Yorick...

These monkeys are laser-cut and adorable.



1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a view to wake up to every morning!

    Its so cool seeing you in such an official looking studio. It actually looks like they, you know, MAKE stuff there. Slightly cramped spaces filled with remnants of old projects, fluidly changing schedules, story flow boards....its like a Behind the Scenes bonus of a DVD, except your like eyeballs deep in the scenes. I do hope they let you start doing a little creative work here and there soon, though they probably weren't expecting you to finish your Flash tests so quickly.

    The Resistor looks really cool, though it seems quite dark in there (might just be the desk lamps messing with the camera). I'm pretty envious of their 3D Printer, that skull looks amazing! DMS has like 4 or 5 such printers in various states of completeness and functionality, but I've not seen them produce anything near as fine of detail and smooth of finish. If I ever have the free cash (some distant day in the future) I'm totally going to either buy a kit or get a set of really solid plans for a good quality printer. I will fill my desks at home and at work with countless cool plastic things XD

    The monkeys were kind of cool, until I noticed the Monkey-Centipede they had going.

    ReplyDelete